Thursday, January 25, 2024

Asking for consent and permission - yoga is a sacred space

I will preface saying that I have in fact taken photos of my classes specfically for the site where I am teaching (special workshops, fundraisers) but ONLY with explicit and unanimous consent and permission for any posting/use. 

I have had professional photographs taken of me in a yoga practice for what the industry might deem "glamour shots" and I was the only person in them, with explicit consent from the location. I have taken pictures of kids ONLY when all the parents and the location consented to the use of the photo in any public manner (i.e., my website). Any and all objections have (and will be) met with compliance. 

I have consented to photographs to be taken of my as an individual and in a group when asked, and even "tagged" myself on media (even when the photo wasn't flattering) to help promote the event/studio/class.

I won't belabor this post with my diatribe about generational perspectives on self-images, or safe spaces versus personal responsibility as those are opinions open for debate. What I will say is that I do not think it's appropriate to take a selfie of yourself when taking my class and in any location that prohibits it I will enforce that policy. 

I am glad that the YMCA where I both teach and practice has a specific policy not only discouraging but prohibiting videos and photographs on the gym floor, and in exercise rooms (and it goes almost without saying, locker rooms). Some gyms have no such policy, and the yoga studio standard varies (or sometimes hasn't been established). If I'm a participant in the class, the only thing I can do is move out of the way, and perhaps verify if the studio/gym itself has a policy so I am informed about my choice to practice there. 

I appreciate the approach and explanation in this article. Thank you for reading.

https://ellelorean.co/consent-photography-in-yoga-healing-spaces/

No comments:

Post a Comment

spam will be deleted