My name is Jackie Gadd, and I am a San Diego-based yoga instructor. I see yoga as a both a mind/body integration practice for inner peace, and a functional movement practice for every body's health.
I took my first yoga class in 2004 as a respite from physical and emotional stress. I had no idea the transformations that it would inspire. After volunteer mentoring in an elementary school under the guidance of another yoga friend, I studied children/teen yoga and continued sharing "mindfulness in motion" in afterschool programs.
In 2012, I earned both my RYT and RPYT (pre-natal), because I wanted a deeper understanding of the principles behind "what made yoga work." It wasn't enough to do poses, or breathe; I had, and still have, a vested interest in understanding and explaining the "how and why" of yoga, to maximize the mind/body/breath experience.
In a children's class I use books, music, and crafts to inspire yoga-oriented play. We energize, and calm, bringing awareness to our actions, and teaching love and respect for ourselves and others.
I teach a variety of adults classes; as an Accessible Yoga Ambassador, all my classes take in account differing needs; some are designed specifically for them. Yoga for ID/DD is mindful of extraneous sensory input, uses special language, and often require support from a caregiver. My mat yoga classes welcome generous us of props, rely on student feedback, and emphasize the function of the pose, rather than the form.
I draw inspiration from different styles like Hatha, Iyengar, Flow/Vinyasa, and Ashtanga, blend in yoga philosophy and mythology, and always include breathwork (pranayama), We finish in Savasana or meditation (depending on class time) to round out the class experience.
I have found that I am most happy when I am in the service of others, and therefore, journey to share yoga as much as possible. I have offered my services as a yoga "coach" for community classes and events like:
- 2020 Pandemic Response: Free weekly live streaming yoga classes for Seniors (5), Children (3), Physical Disabilities (2) and ID/DD (3 supplemented by private sponsor). All recorded classes free for view/download.
- 2011-21 National Multiple Sclerosis Society: Stretch Sessions & Yoga Lounge for the 3-Day Challenge Walk
- 2020-21 Spina Bifida Association Virtual Yoga for National Day of Walk-n-Roll and 2021 Fitness Club
- 2019-21 Abilities Expo: Live and Recorded Chair and Kids Yoga Sessions
- 2016-18 International Day of Yoga Live Chair/Adaptive Yoga Sessions
- 2016-18 People First Self-Advocacy Conference Yoga Class
If you are hosting a fundraiser (or work for a non-profit) and want yoga to be a part of your event, don't hesitate to reach out - being able to give back to my community and the global community is part of why I do what I do!
I have spent hundreds of hours in conferences and trainings, active practice, lecture, and practicum, because I'm fascinated by the developing body of knowledge around this ancient practice. I seek to learn about applications where yoga is a supporting modality not just for fitness and mindfulness in general, but for mitigating deeper mental health issues, aging-related problems, and pain and trauma.
I strive to facilitate a mindful, embodied (and fun) experience in class that can lead to like experiences off the mat. For a complete CV please email me at email@example.com.
Certifications & Trainings
- YACEP (Jun 2018)
- YA E-RYT-200 (ID # 118391) (Oct 2016)
- YA RYT-200 (ID # 118391): Yoga Well Center (Sep 2012)
- YA RPYT-85 Perinatal: Becalmed Yoga (Nov 2012)
- CPR/AED/First Aid: ARC (May 2021)
- TAYMS-65: Yoga Heals Us (Jul 2017)
- Accessible Yoga Teacher & Ambassador (2018)
- 2000+ Teaching hours as of Dec 2020
- 112 Hours Children/Teen training
- 30 Hours Silver Sneakers/Silver & Fit
- 400+ hours post RYT training as of Nov 2021 including:
- Yoga for Mental Health: Cindy Beers, Red Head Yoga (Feb 2021) 22 Hours
- Yoga for Pain Management: Gary Kraftsow (online Oct/Nov 2020) 9 Hours
- Overcoming Trauma through Yoga Module 2: OG Yoga (Feb 2020) 30 hrs
- Neuroscience behind Mindfulness-Based Meditation: Dr. Fadel Zeidan (UCSD) (May 2019) 8 hrs
- Anatomical Explorations: Diane Ambrosini (Mar 2019) 2.5 hrs
- Experiential Anatomy: Judith Hansen Lasater (San Diego, CA) (Mar 2018) 25 hrs
- Bridging the Hearts & Minds of Youth Conference (UCSD Center for Mindfulness): 17 Hours
- Therapeutic Asana/Pranayama/Meditation with Amy Wheeler, PhD (Sep 2017) 8 hrs
- Yoga in Medicine for Mood Disorders (UCSD Center for Integrative Medicine) (Jan 2017) 20 CEUs
- Scoliosis & Reversing the Aging of the Spine: Rachel Krentzman (Jun 2016) 4 hrs
- Shoulder Therapy Workshop: Kaitlyn Hochart (Jan 2016): 3 CEUs
- Yin, Restorative, and Therapeutic Yoga: Wild Abundant Life/Deborah Williamson (Jul 2014) 27 hrs
- Yoga for Eating Disorders Module 1 Intensive: Eat Breathe Thrive/Chelsea Roff (Aug 2014) 15 hrs
Presentation & Media
- Co-Presenter: Adaptive/Accessible Yoga in Recreational Therapy @ Sharp Recreational Therapy Workshop (San Diego, Jun 2018) (email for info)
- Co-presenter: Adaptive/Accessible Yoga in the County Library System @ Accessible Yoga Conference (Santa Barbara, Sep 2016) (email for info)
- Article: "Find your Passion and Center in Accessible Yoga" @ Abilities.com (Sep 2019):
- Interview: Becker Group Women's Leadership Podcast (Jun 2020):
- Guest: Becker Group C-Suite Reports Business Leadership Webinar "Staying Physically Fit in the COVID-19 Era" (May 2020): https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-podcasts/id525463029
- Interview: Fun4theDisabled @ Chicago Abilities Expo (Jun 2019):
- Interview: YogiTones Podcast (Dec 2018): https://yogitones.com/2018/12/28/yogi-tones-podcast-with-jackie-gadd-teaching-the-senior-population/
- Interview: "Yoga Instructor Embraces Lakeside Health Awareness Month," East County Californian (Mar 2016): http://eccalifornian.com/yoga-instructor-embraces-lakeside-health-awareness-month/
- Photo: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/en-espanol/news/sd-me-yoga-balboapark-20170617-story.html
Available for Hire
- Private Yoga Sessions (personal, family-friendly)
- Mindfulness/Wellness In-School Activities
- After School Enrichments (all ages)
- Storytime Yoga Playgroups
- Party Activity (youth and adult)
- Scouting Activities
- Individual Fundraisers
- Corporate/Company Yoga
- Weekend Retreat Activities
- Community Center Classes
- Adult Day Care Classes
Reach out firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how to create the custom class that works for YOU.