Free Library of Recorded Accessible Chair Yoga
I have recorded videos for previous accessible yoga classes for online personal use, available here: https://www.byomyogavideos.com/p/adaptive-yoga.html. To use in a commercial, educational, or training program, or to download for distribution, please reach out to me at email@example.com.
Free Live Online Accessible Chair Yoga Classes - postponed
My live online Accessible Chair Yoga classes for people with physical disabilities will reconvene in early 2021.
The classes (and the recorded videos) include mostly seated instruction, but may included some standing poses. I will address issues for folks with limited mobility and balance challenges. We will work on strengthening muscles, improving coordination, and a good deal of stretching to improve not only range of motion but the elasticity of tissues. One major focus will be breathwork for calming the nervous system and energizing the spirit. Everyone should feel comfortable participating to their own challenge level, and not feel obligated to mirror the instructor or any other participant.
Note: These classes do not specifically address intellectual/development disabilities. For yoga specifically for those with ID/DD refer here: https://www.byomyogavideos.com/p/special-needs.html.
To join the live classes email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a liability waiver and a direct link and password.
- Please use all necessary support (seat belts, breathing apparatus) and follow medical professional advice when participating in a fitness activity.
- Wheelchair users do not need to transfer to other seating. Wheels should be locked for class.
- Feet should be on a solid surface (floor, blanket, wheelchair paddles)
- For those using standard chairs, use a high-backed, arm-less chair with a flat seat (folding chairs are not recommended).
- Place all seating on a non-slip surface like a yoga mat.
- Props are optional, but a fitness strap (yoga strap, fitness band) is recommended for movement assistance.
- Hydrate at least twice during a 40-minute yoga class
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use of the videos below implies consent of the liability waiver and is at one's own risk.