Saturday, May 18, 2024

Found money helps me keep doing what I love

Yesterday I was driving between classes and I received a call from an unknown number from a Chicago area code. Though normally I wouldn't pick up, I pushed the "Answer" button on the Apple Car Play screen before my my logical brain said "NO!"

I'm glad I did. Turns out it was a lovely reporter from NBC7, Shelly Bremer, doing a story about unclaimed funds from the City of San Diego. She said I had a check for $375 from last July as reported on their recent  list, and she was reaching out to different payee's to see who might be interested in being interviewed. 

She asked if I might know why the city owed me money and I explained that I'm a vendor (contractor/entertainer) for the library and parks and rec department, teaching yoga classes, and that I was on the way to teach one of the classes. She then excitedly asked if she could come film some of the class to get my story documented. Of course, the extrovert in me said yes, whlle the anxiety riddled introvert started to panic that I was unshowered, dressed in my best "toddler chic" (leggings, baggy shirt and thrift store sweatshirt), and with under eye circles rivaling the most decrepit vampire. 

To preserve student privacy they took a few short videos from the back of the room (only my face can be seen). Thank you to EVERYONE at the Skyline Hills library chair yoga class for being willing to be part of this, and thank you to the library for being open to having the interview done on your property. 

The reporter asked me if perhaps I was "hard to find" and I laughed saying "No, in fact I have been a contractor with the city for six years, still at the same address, under the same name. and they receive monthly invoices from me for my services!" Viva la bureaucracy, right?

The interview is a nice little promo for our classes, and I was able to talk candidly about what I do (dharma) and why I do it (my love languages is acts of service and gifts).

The check will come in handy, and if anything is forcing me to go back over my billing system, because obviously I missed something last year!

Check for your name on the list here: https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/san-diego-has-818k-in-unclaimed-money-is-your-name-on-the-list/3517692/

File the report to claim the funds here: https://www.sandiego.gov/finance/unclaimed

No comments:

Post a Comment

spam will be deleted