Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Cancer Awareness Month - Donations for Eye Pillows

With October month being Breast Cancer Awareness Month (as if it's impossible to not be aware), I want to do more than send good energy: I want to put my money where my asana is. I would like to create yoga eye pillows for my network of amazing people, and donate some of the proceeds to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, to help fund mammograms for women in need.

Three standard sizes and a child's size eye pillow
The pillow I make are similar to the ones I've used in class (the envelope-sized silky covered flax- or bean- filled pads that you see in spas and yoga studios), but these are even more special. For you, these will be hand  sewn pillows filled with a combination of flax, rice and lentils, plus dried lavender, chamomile and/or peppermint. Each pillow has a removable and washable cover, and a heavy duty insert that can be put into the freezer for cold therapy, or in the microwave (for 10 second bursts) and used as a hot compress. The pillow is also quite nice at room temperature to be used to cover the eyes during Savasana, providing a nice weight against the closed lids, and a subtle herbal scent to sooth the nervous system. 

Eli age three modeling the kid's size
I have a variety of cotton, flannel and fleece fabrics in beautiful colors so every piece will be different. Let me know if you have a color preference and I can try to match your request(s).

Standard "eye pillow" size is 8.5"x4" (more or less). I can also make head wraps (that drape over someone's head who is lying down - great for migraine sufferers) that are twice that length (same width), and I can make longer neck wraps if you like (about 20". The larger items have pocketed chambers to keep the inside goodies evenly distributed. I'm also experimenting with "knee wraps" that are about 12" x 8" with four long channels to facilitate the pad wrapping arounnd the knee joint.

I'm somewhat winging this retail operation so bear with me while I get the nitty gritty details ironed out. I just want to share the goods and good will.

I will donate 25% of every paid purchase to the National Breast Cancer Foundation to help provide mammograms to women in need. Alternately, if you are, or have a friend or loved one "fighting the good fight" undergoing any kind of cancer treatment, it would be my honor to give you or them an eye pillow for FREE. This offer is good until the end of 2015 (and will probably be extended well beyond).

Please know that since *I* am not a non-profit these are not tax deductible "donations" from you. However if you purchase one and then gift it to a non-profit fundraiser may to deduct your cost of the items (please contact a tax professional for accurate information).

Local San Diegans we can arrange a meetup, or pickup at one of my yoga classes. If you need your items shipped email me and we'll get the details worked out.

A stack of eye pillow pets
The photos show some of my previously created (and sold/given away) items to help motivate you (not all the fabrics/animals are available but I have many more options). 

Pricing (sizes are approximate):
5.5 x 4 Child's size eye pillow: $5
8.5 x 4 Standard size eye pillow: $8
15 x 4 Large head wrap: $15
20 x 4 Neck Wrap: $20
12 x 8 Knee Wrap: $18
Stuffed Animal pillow (for kids): $15

Closeup of a eye pup-pillow

No comments:

Post a Comment

spam will be deleted