Saturday, October 2, 2021

FOUR New Classes! (updated)


Mat Yoga at Copley Price YMCA

The Sunday yoga class I used to teach at the Copley-Price YMCA prior to the pandemic shutdown (thank you Rosa Ruiz) is restarting on Sunday October 10. As the graphic below states, 

This class will be a blend of hatha and slow flow with a bit of workshopping and a focus on functional movement. We'll always get a decent mind/body workout, spend time in meditation with breathwork, and have a nice Savasana at the end.

I'm really excited to be back guiding this class and I hope previous members rejoin and new folks are interested in testing it out. This isn't your average studio flow class to be sure! I recommend bringing your own mat and if you have them, blocks and and a beach towel (or yoga blanket) and strap to help create a sense of ease for different variation of the poses depending on how your body feels that day. The Y does have some props that they clean regularly, but it's never a bad idea to invest a few dollars (if you have them) on your own set.

Here's an example of the kind of guidance I offer, and when and why we'd use props:

See that intense forward fold up there on my fun graphic? Technically that's a standing forward fold I rotated 90°. Standing, there's gravity to help traction the torso over the thighs. Also, the photo was taken 7 years ago, I had been warming up for well over an hour, I had also been practicing very active yoga daily, and that picture was one fraction of a second of a moment in time. Le'ts acknowledge that exacct fold isn't going to happen for my body today. I would absolutely want a blanket under my sit bones and possible one pulled onto my lap into my hip creases. I might not even use a strap around the balls of my feet so that I wasn't tempted to "pull" myself into the posture. 

I hope you are able to come try this class out for size with me! Reminder that the Y offers scholarship memberships!

Update

The following classes are on hold throughout January 2022:

Baby Yoga StoryTime @ City Heights/Weingart Library

  • Wednesday December 8, 10-10:45am in front of the Performance Annex

Kids Yoga @ San Carlos Library 

  • Wednesdays (starting November 3) 3-3:45pm

Expect movement, songs, library-chosen books, occasion-and-yoga-themed crafts, parent-and-kid partnering, and overall a lot of fun. Please note that this isn't a drop-off class; modeling participation is such an important part, and I do have plenty of caregiver-kiddo partnering to keep it fun for ALL ages! If you are unable to get down to the floor we will have chairs for seating. (If you do need to use your electronic device during class please step out of the room briefly.)

I will have some mats available for lending, but I do recommended having one of your own per child so they have safe space for movement. If we have a group of folks that need mats, we can always consider doing a group purchase to get a warehouse discount. 

No sign-ups or payment needed, just show up and ENJOY!

Coming Soon: Chair Yoga with Age Well Services

  • Starting in 2022, Fridays, 12:45-1:45 at Park De La Cruz Recreation Center

No comments:

Post a Comment

spam will be deleted