About MeI am a San Diego-based yoga instructor serving multiple communities at multiple locations.
I have been a yoga enthusiast and practitioner since early 2004, when I went into the practice to help heal my body during a time of physical and emotional illness.
My love for teaching blossomed when I was asked to volunteer teach for a local public school's fifth grade girls mentoring program. That inspired me to train specifically in yoga for children, which has become a lifestyle and lifetime commitment to bring the joy of yoga to every individual, child and family that I can.
I have multiple accreditation in children’s yoga, and my E-RYT200 and RPYT (perinatal) with Yoga Alliance. My original RYT200 is from the Himalayan tradition-based Yoga Well Center of San Diego and the RPYT is from Becalmed Yoga.
For children my style incorporates music, books, and crafts into yoga-oriented play, where I (hope to) inspire mindfulness, and help them learn how to energize as well as calm with the breath.
For adults I utilize an eclectic yoga blend of styles, from traditional Hatha to Iyengar, Anusara, Yin, Vinyasa, Restorative (and more), exercise the body and help calm the mind. An emphasis on yogic breathing with instruction in pranayama techniques, discussion of pose alignment for best practice, and plenty of time in savasana round out the class experience. I'd like to believe my yoga "coaching" is body-positive, approachable, adaptable, and enjoyable!
I am also proud to be an Accessible Yoga Ambassador, part of a growing alliance of teachers that provide classes adapted for differently-abled and non-traditional yoga students.
On a personal note, I have been honored to teach at a number of studios and gyms around San Diego including the YMCA, A Gentle Way Joyful Movement Center, Hapa Yoga, 24 Hour Fitness, Crunch Fitness, and Plus One Fitness facilities, as well as leading classes at elementary schools, preschools, and homes. I have studied with amazing leaders in the yoga community, and shared space with teachers and students experienced in the celebration of not only yoga but of life.
I have found that I am most happy when I am in the service of others, and therefore, journey to share yoga as much as possible.
I have one son born in 2009 (when I was 43) and a loving spouse who supports my yoga journey as it helps me to practice fill my heart, create health for my body, and streamline the clutter of my mind..
Private Yoga ClassesWant yoga at your child's school? I love to be able to provide yoga classes to children of all ages as in-school activities and after school enrichments.
Mommy/me playgroups at a private home or a park can be a wonderful way to bond with your baby AND get in your yoga.
If you yearn for private individual or small group lessons, we can start at a very reasonable per person rate that goes down as more people join!
I am also certified to teach Silver Sneakers-based yoga stretch and strengthen classes. Many insurance programs qualify you to take these classes for FREE. We can work together to create a new class at your synagogue, rec center, senior center, church, or a park near you!
If you are hosting a fundraiser (or work for a non-profit) and want yoga to be a part of your event, don't hesitate to reach out - being able to give back to my community and the global community is part of why I do what I do!
Just reach out firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 619-578-3863 to discuss how to create the custom class that works for YOU.
About the NameBYOMyoga is pronounced bih-YOHM' YO'-gah and can easily be remembered with the mnemonic "Bring Your Own Mantra" (or mat, or music, or magnificence). But the story behind the name goes deeper than that.
"Om" in Sanskrit, the ancient language of yoga, is the vibrational humming sound of the universe. In the ancient language of Hebrew, the world "yom" means day, and the phrase "b'yom" means "of the day." When I blended these two ideas together, the whole became so much greater than the sum of the parts.
BYOMyoga is more than just "yoga of the day" and more than just "yoga with OMs." It's a name meant to embody the idea of "It's your day, make it your yoga." A name that speaks to a teaching style that holds dear the core values - the sutras (threads) - of traditional yoga but very much encourages and enables personal interpretation and adaptation. It's a name meant to reflect the duality of a 6000-year old Hindu priestly tradition being practiced by a 21st century Jewish woman with humor, with humility and with honor.
- YA E-RYT-200 (ID # 118391) (Oct 2016)
- YA RYT-200 (ID # 118391): Yoga Well Center (Sep 2012)
- YA RPYT-85 Perinatal: Becalmed Yoga (Nov 2012)
- CPR/First Aid/AED Adult, Pediatric, Infant: AHA (Jun 2017), renewable 2019
- HeadsUp Coaches Concussions Training for Youth Sports Coaches (2017)
- Yoga Body Bootcamp(TM): Basic Training Certification (8 hours)
- Yoga for Eating Disorders with Chelsea Roff: Module 1 Intensive (15 hours)
- Wild Abundant Life with Deborah Williamson
- Yin, Restorative and Therapeutic Yoga (26 hours)
- Transformational Weekend (26 Hours)
- Radiant Child with Shakta Kalsa: Yoga for Children Modules 1-3 (30 hours)
- Yoga Minded with Christie Miele: Yoga4Teens (24 hours)
- Yoga Kids: Yoga for Teens (3 hours); Taste of Yoga Kids (3 hours); Yoga Tools for Schools (4 hours)
- Next Generation Yoga with Jodi Komitor: 2-7 year olds (24 hours); 8-13 year olds (24 hours); Mentorship (3 months)
- SilverSneakers (Healthways): Classic Fitness & Yoga (6 hours)
- Crunch Fitness Classic Training: BodyWeb withTRX, Fat Burning Pilates, Yoga Body Sculpt (4 hours)
- TRX Group Suspension Training: Bird Rock Fit, La Jolla (8 hours) - Jun 2013
- BollyX(TM) Training Certification (9 hours)
Current Public Clients
- YMCA of San Diego County (East County)
- 24 Hour Fitness San Diego (multiple locations)
- Silverman Preschool - Tifereth Israel Synagogue
- Chabad Preschool - Chabad Hebrew Academy
- San Diego County Public Libraries - Adaptive Yoga for Adults with Disabilities
- San Diego County Public Libraries - Silver Sneakers/Adaptive Chair Yoga
- Plus One Fitness, Crunch Fitness (multiple locations, on call)
- Yoga Provider: NMSS Challenge Walk 2012-16, MS Bike 2016, Walk MS 2017
- Festival of Yoga/IDOY, Chair/Adaptive Yoga Instructor 2016-17
- People First Self-Advocacy Conference Yoga Demo, May 2016
- NAMI/Children's Mental Health Fair Kids Yoga Demo, May 2016
- Accessible Yoga Ambassador
- Senate Certificate of Recognition for Outstanding Service (Sen. Joel Anderson), 2016
- YogaActivist Teacher of the Month, Aug 2010