Saturday, April 20, 2013

Poses - It's the IDEA, not the IDEAL

Photographs courtesy of Kyle Murphy

In August of 2012 I decided to take a leap and get professional yoga photographs taken...meaning the person behind the camera was a pro, and I'd do poses, but the outcome was left to chance. I make no claim that my alignment is perfect, but I do know that I was trying my best to follow my own knowledge, plus the cues of the patient instructor/coach there. Your poses may (will) look different, but out of sheer humility (to prove that it's the IDEA of the pose, not the IDEAL) I thought I'd unveil these, with the pose names in English and Sanskrit. Eventually I will add my own pose notes like how to get into them, how to make your own adjustments, and how to move out of them. Enjoy, offer me feedback, Pin, or whatever you please.


Parivrtta Anjanyasana - Revolved Lunge Pose with palms together at the heart in Namaste Mudra (also can be considered a modification of Pavritta Parsvakonsana - Revolved Side Angle)


(Eka Pada) Setu Banda Sarvangasana - Bridge Pose with One Extended Leg



Urdvha Danurasana - Upward Facing Bow


Uttanasana - Forward Fold, or literally, Intense Stretch Pose (ahhhhh)



Salamba Sirsasana - Supported (by my arms) Headstand


Salamba Sirsasana with Padmasana Legs (Lotus Position legs)


Prasarita Parsvottanasana D variation- Wide Angle Standing Forward Bend (or literally, outstretched feet intense stretch), reaching for the outer edges of the feet (or big toes in the traditional Ashtanga version)


Bakasana - Crow/Crane Pose (baka actually means crane)


Parivrtta Bakasana - Twisting (rotating) Crow Pose


Utthitha Trikonasana - Extended Triangle Pose




1 comment:

  1. Look at you!!! So strong and beautiful...and sometimes pretzel-like. I am amazed. You rock!

    ReplyDelete

spam will be deleted